Use Lighting Design in Sports Venues to Enhance Operating Income
Design Principles of Stadium Lighting
Reasonable stadium lighting design can not only improve the level of athletic competition, increase the audience’s enthusiasm, enhance the quality of sports competitions and activities, but also can enhance operating income for sports organizers, and reduce operating and maintenance costs. The design of lighting for sports venues should follow the following principles:
Safety: The design of stadium lighting directly affects the process of sporting events and the safety of athletes and the audience. So the choice of lighting fixtures needs to ensure that it meets the corresponding area’s illumination needs and also that it will not fall, break or threaten the safety of personnel. As sports venues are usually staff-intensive, the emergency lighting and safe evacuation lighting needs to ensure that all personnel are able to evacuate in a short time under an emergency situation.
Quality: (1) Lighting should meet the visual requirements of the athletes, and reduce the objective impact caused by lighting on the game to the minimum; (2) Lighting should meet the visual requirements of the audience, so that any discomfort caused by the light would be reduced to the minimum level; (3) Meet the Broadcasting lighting requirements, to improve the quality of broadcast.
Reduce operational and maintenance costs: In order to improve the user efficiency of the of sports venues, most sports venues are built for multi-purposes, i.e. they can not only be used for sport games but also for other cultural activities. This requires the lighting design of the facility to meet the special requirements for sports, but also meet requirements for entertainment, training, competition, maintenance, and cleaning services.
Therefore, lighting design should be in accordance with the corresponding standards for different uses and different sports, as well as different regional lighting requirements to ensure that activities operate under better lighting quality on the basis of lower operating and maintenance costs.
Outdoor Sport Venues’ Lighting Features and Commonly Used Lighting Types
Outdoor sports venues mainly refer to sports venues for football, tennis courts, shooting ranges, golf courses, and outdoor track and field areas (including for sports such as racing, throwing).
In the lighting design for outdoor sports venues, specific analysis for the visual requirements of different sports should be undertaken. For example, on the shooting range, shooting targets have a high illumination requirement. Meanwhile, for safety requirements, general lighting between the launch site and the target is needed.
In big stadiums, the distance between the audience and the athletes is larger and requires higher illumination. Tennis venues usually do not have as large an audience, but because of the fast speed of the game, the illumination requirements are high. In addition, outdoor lighting equipment needs to avoid produce a distracting flicker effect.
In the stadium, where there are no stands, light fixtures are usually installed on tall lighthouses in the four corners and this can be a good way to avoid glare. Smaller stadiums generally use lower-cost side lights, along the sides of the venue, and install around eight lighthouses with height from 12 to 20 meters.
Indoor Gymnasium Lighting Features and Commonly Used Lamp Types
Different Categories of Competition Have Different Lighting Requirements
Some indoor sports venues are based on sports competition, compatible with literature and art, rallies, exhibitions and training, and other functions. Indoor sports competitions can be divided into two categories, one that are high space sports such as basketball, volleyball, table tennis, badminton, etc. These sports need to pay attention to reasonable arrangements for the location of lamps, making light distributions overlap, improve uniformity, and reduce shadowing.
Another category mainly use a low level-space position for activities, such as swimming, ice hockey, boxing, judo and for these attention needs to be paid to determination of the line of sight and improvement of the vertical illumination of the low space area.
Different Levels of Competition Have Different Lighting Requirements
The general game is divided into three categories. Professional competitions usually have features needed for a large audience capacity: this is to enable watching at a distance, a low frequency of use, and high brightness requirements.
Non-professional competition usually includes features such as a medium capacity audience, medium viewing distance, an average frequency of use, and average lighting level, for example that that is used for local club competitions and training.
Amateur competitions usually have a low or no audience, a low use frequency, low quality lighting, and are mainly for entertainment applications.
Lamp Selection and Arrangement Tips
Light source selection requirements:
1. In venues with a high height lamp installation, the light source should be high suspension fluorescent lamps, high efficiency LED cast lights, or metal halide lamps.
2. In some indoor gymnasiums with lower ceilings and smaller areas, high suspension fluorescent lamps and low power LED lamps should be used.
3. In some special areas that have flammable or explosive materials used, the light source must be explosion-proof.
4. The power of the lamp should be suitable for the size of the venue, location and height of installation. Outdoor stadiums should use high power and medium power LED lamps, or metal halide lamps, and ensure that the light source works in an uninterrupted manner and is capable of an instant start.
5. The light source should have a suitable color temperature, good color rendering, high luminous efficiency, a long lifespan, stable flame retardant and photoelectric properties.
All in all, from the point of view of long-term benefits, a LED light source is the best choice for sport venues’ lighting. LED lighting for the gymnasium is not only energy-saving and highly efficient, but also a perfect solution to avoid flicker in the slow motion any camera lens.
Lamp Selection Requirements
• The safety performance of lamps and accessories should be fully in line with the relevant standards.
• The lamps’ anti-electric shock level should meet the requirements needed, for instance lighting in swimming pool and similar places should adopt lamps with anti-electric shock class III lamps.
• The lamp efficiency should meet the relevant standards.
• Lights distribution should be adapted to the installation height and location of the lamp. Outdoor stadiums should use narrow beam and medium beam angle lamps, indoor stadium should use the medium beam and wide beam angle lamps.
• Lamps should have anti-glare measures.
• Lamps and accessories should be able to meet the requirements of the environment in use; lamps should be high strength, corrosion resistant, and lighting appliances must meet the requirements of the heat-resistant grade.
• Metal halide lamps should not be used in open lamps and the protection degree of the lamp housing should not be less than IP55. Lamps installed in the site where is not convenient to enable maintenance or have serious air-pollution issues (e.g. construction sites, mines) should meet a protection degree of not less than IP 65.
• High-altitude lamps should use small weights, be of small sizes and have small wind-load factor products.
• Lamps should be equipped with or attached with an angle pointing device. The lamp locking device needs to be capable of withstanding the maximum wind-load under the conditions of use.
• Measures should be taken to avoid lamps falling.
Lighting Design Application Cases in An Outdoor Basketball Court
1. Case Description
Applicable places: Basketball courts in a district, square, school etc. Light fixtures adopted: 2 x 160W LED flood lights, 6 sets.
2. Arrangement method
6 sets of lamps distributed on both sides, with the main light range focusing on the offensive area of the lighting court to meet the general competition and team training requirements.
3.Lights Lay Out Plan
4.The program uses the following lamp technical parameters:
Power: 160W Number of beads: 2 high power lamp beads of 80W each. Shell material: high purity die-cast aluminum + 5MM tempered glass face cover. Color temperature: 6000K (white). Luminous flux: 16800-17400LM Size: 450 × 315 × 225mm Service life: > 50000H Irradiation angle: 120 ° Input voltage: AC110V — AC240V 50 / 60HZ Power supply: constant current power supply
5. Advantages of the lighting solution
(1) High-power 160w LED flood light from all big brand chips. (2) Energy efficient, with electricity consumption at only 30% of energy-saving lamps, 10% of incandescent. This provides affordable, low-carbon environmental protection and energy conservation. The brightness is 3 times that of conventional energy-saving lamps, 9 times that of incandescent. (3) Long life, low power consumption, pure color, no pollution. Life expectancy is more than 45,000 hours and maintenance costs are very low. (4) Use a unique switch constant current technology to ensure stability in LED working. (5) Designed for an instant start. (6) LED is directly connected with the shell, guaranteeing a better thermal design of the lamp.